The Terry Dintenfass Gallery

The Terry Dintenfass Gallery was established in 1954 in Atlantic City, New Jersey and moved to New York City in 1959.

Terry Dintenfass was one of the last generation of women dealers, along with Edith Halpert, Grace Borgenicht, Betty Parsons, Antoinette Kraushaar, Joan Washburn and others, who dominated the New York art world during the 1950's to the late 1970's. Terry took a keen interest in social and political issues and through Edith Halpert of Downtown Gallery was introduced to the works of African American artists including Jacob Lawrence, whom she represented for 25 years, and Horace Pippin.The "Social Realist" painters Philip Evergood and Robert Gwathmey helped shaped the gallery with a strong social consciousness.

In the early 1960's, when Edith Halpert retired, the Arthur Dove estate joined Terry Dintenfass, Inc. which then had a stable of William King, Robert Gwathmey, Philip Evergood, Sidney Goodman, Hyman Bloom, Antonio Frasconi, among others, and later the sculptor Elisabeth Frink. The gallery represented these artists for much of the last three to four decades and is now heavily involved in their secondary market. The gallery continues to represent the estate of Arthur Dove.

Terry officially retired in 1999 and her son Andrew Dintenfass, who has been closely affiliated with the gallery, has taken over the leadership of the business, with Terry as consultant. The gallery is operated on an appointment only basis and is currently building a website.

20 East 79th Street (at Madision Avenue)
NY NY 10021
(212) 772-7273
fax: (310) 454-6431